Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clyo in Effingham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Mount Pleasant

»——→

 
 
Old Mount Pleasant Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Old Mount Pleasant Marker
Inscription.  

Two miles east of here, on a bluff fronting Savannah River, is the site of Mt. Pleasant, a former Uchee Indian town and English trading post. Even before the foundation of Georgia, the spot was a key point on an arterial Indian path which had long been used by Carolina traders.

In July 1739, Gen. Oglethorpe began his noted journey at Mt. Pleasant to treat with the Creek Indians at Coweta Town on the Alabama side of the Chattahoochee River, below today's Columbus. During the early years of Georgia, the Colony maintained a garrison and small fort at Mt. Pleasant, under the command of Capt. Thomas Wiggin, an Indian trader.
 
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 051-18.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1739.
 
Location. 32° 31.774′ N, 81° 19.905′ W. Marker is in Clyo, Georgia, in Effingham County. Marker is at
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the intersection of Clyo-Kildare Road (County Route 81) and Taylor Chapel Road, on the right when traveling west on Clyo-Kildare Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clyo GA 31303, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Baptists At Tuckasee King (approx. 3.6 miles away); Two Historic Savannah River Ferries (approx. 4.9 miles away); John Adam Treutlen (approx. 5.1 miles away); Robertville (approx. 8.7 miles away in South Carolina); J. Lamar Brantley Road (approx. 9.4 miles away in South Carolina); Bethany (approx. 9.8 miles away); North Newington Baptist Church (approx. 10.2 miles away); Springfield Central High School (approx. 10.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clyo.
 
Old Mount Pleasant Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Old Mount Pleasant Marker
Old Mount Pleasant Marker at left, looking southeast along Kildare-Clyo Road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Old Mount Pleasant Marker at left, looking southeast along Kildare-Clyo Road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,374 times since then and 250 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2, 3. submitted on May 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7775

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2024