The Nebraska State Grange
The Nebraska State Grange was organized in 1872, but errors in its co-operative ventures and the rise of the Farmers Alliance led to its decline. The Grange movement was re-established with the organization of Custer Center Grange near here in February, 1911. The State Grange was reorganized in Broken Bow, November, 1911. Local Granges have spread over the state and are noted for contributions to community life and sound farm policy. Custer Center Grange continues as the oldest Grange organization in Nebraska.
James D. Ream--first Master of both the Custer Center and Nebraska State Granges--was one of Nebraska's leading agricultural pioneers. One of the first settlers in this valley in 1880, he developed his homestead into the beautiful Cedar Lawn Farm.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list.
Location. 41° 26.241′ N, 99° 42.926′ W. Marker is in Broken Bow, Nebraska, in Custer County. Marker is on State Highway 2 at milepost 273, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Broken Bow NE 68822, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of First Custer County Courthouse (approx. 4˝ miles away); Broken Bow (approx. 4˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 17 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on October 7, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.