Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taylor in Loup County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Harrop

 
 
Harrop Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joan Shurtliff, October 4, 2014
1. Harrop Marker
Inscription.  In 1908 John Harrop, originally from Roca, Nebraska, filed a homestead claim just west of the Calamus River about thirteen miles north of Taylor in Loup County. Harrop acquired 640 acres under the Kinkaid Act of 1904, which had been passed to encourage settlement in the Nebraska Sand Hills. By 1912 Harrop operated a mercantile store and the Harrop post office at his home.

In the mid-1920s Harrop and his son Roy, an Omaha attorney, were leaders in organizing the Calamus Irrigation District. This public operation planned to build a dam on the Calamus River to provide irrigation and promote the growing of crops such as sugar beets. In 1927 Roy Harrop platted and dedicated a townsite named Harrop about one mile south of here, and a few buildings were constructed.

Meanwhile opposition to the irrigation project led to a series of court battles and in 1929 the Nebraska Supreme Court dissolved the irrigation district. John Harrop died in 1932, along with his dream for the town and the irrigation project. Today nothing remains of the remains of the Harrop townsite
 
Erected by Loup
A roadside artist's rendition of the Nebraska Sandhills. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joan Shurtliff, October 4, 2014
2. A roadside artist's rendition of the Nebraska Sandhills.
Click or scan to see
this page online
County Historical Society; Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 375.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
 
Location. 42° 0.816′ N, 99° 27.31′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Nebraska, in Loup County. Marker is on U.S. 183, on the right when traveling north. This marker is located just north of the junction with State Highway 96 north of the Calamus Reservoir. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Taylor NE 68879, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Valleyview (approx. 10.9 miles away).
 
More about this marker. There is a small picnic area in conjunction with the historical marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 618 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=77919

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 29, 2022