Near Beattie in Marshall County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Saddle Up at Guittard
Pony Express Trail
We spanned the prairie to Guittard's Station, on the far side of a shady, well-wooded creek, the Vermillion... For dinner...the ham and eggs, and hot rolls and coffee were fresh and good, and although drought had killed the salad, we had abundance of peaches and cream, an offering of French to American taste.
- Richard F. Burton 1860
In 1859 George Guittard built a 12-room, two story lodge to accommodate the needs of more and more people passing through by wagon, coach, and horseback. Guittard Station served as an inn to refresh travelers, sell supplies and water, graze and shelter animals, and aid in repairing wagons and coaches.
This location became a relay station for the famous Pony Express in 1860 as part of its mail dispatch between Missouri and California. The station had two stables with over 20 horses. Mounts were prepared for riders, saddled and ready. A fresh horse, water, and food made Guittard Station a welcome stop after a fast ride across the rolling green prairie.
George Guittard, a former French magistrate, came to America in 1833. He journeyed west
In 1845 it took six months to get a message from the East Coast to California. By the late 1850s, a half a million people had migrated west and were demanding up-to-date news from home. Something had to be done to deliver mail faster! Enter the Pony Express - formed on January 27, 1860. Pony Express riders galloped from one relay station to another, carrying mail and telegrams between Missouri and California in only 10 days.
Guittard Station became a thoroughfare for Russell, Majors, and Waddell's Pony Express and their Overland stage line; and the Ft. Leavenworth to Fort Kearny Military Road. The location of Guittard Station is on private property (just to the southeast of here). No remnants of the station exist.
Pony Express Trail
1860 - 61
East 80 rods
Erected by National Park Service and National
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Pony Express National Historic Trail series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1767.
Location. 39° 54.694′ N, 96° 25.588′ W. Marker is near Beattie, Kansas, in Marshall County. Marker is on 21st Road, 0.8 miles north of Granite Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is about 3.5 miles north of Beattie. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beattie KS 66406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Father William L. Nelligan (approx. 3½ miles away); David Smith's Pony Express and Stage Station Overland Trail (approx. 9 miles away); World War Memorial (approx. 9.4 miles away); St. Bridgets Church (approx. 9.4 miles away); Oketo Cut-Off of Overland Trail (approx. 9.7 miles away); Oketo School District 20 (approx. 9.9 miles away); Z. H. Moore General Store (approx. 9.9 miles away); Marysville (approx. 11½ miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Pony Express National Historic Trail. National Park Service website entry (Submitted on October 14, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of the Pony Express. National Pony Express Association website homepage (Submitted on October 14, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Pony Express National Historic Trail - Kansas segment. National Park Service entry (Submitted on December 12, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
4. Marshall County, Kansas. Kansapedia website entry (Submitted on March 4, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 14, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.