Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sylvania in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Screven County

 
 
Screven County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, May 2008
1. Screven County Marker
Inscription.  Screven County was created by an Act of the General Assembly of Georgia, December 14th, 1793. It was named for General James Screven. The first county seat and court house was the home of Benjamin Lanier at what is now Rocky Ford.

In a companion Act the first county court officials were named as follows: Justices of Peace; Nathaniel Hudson, John Greene, Jr., Benjamin Richardson, Samuel Dunn, Robert Stafford, Luke Mizell, McKeen Greene, James Bevil, Joseph Plumer, Robert Williamson, Samuel Bird, John Loney, James Bird, James William, James H. Rutherford, Daniel Blackburn and William Pearce, Esquires.

The Justices of the Inferior Court named in the Act creating Screven County were: Benjamin Lanier, Caleb Howell, Lemuel Lanier, Paul Bevil and Drury Jones. In the first election held in Screven County, January 20th, 1794, the following officers were elected:
Sheriff, William Coursey; Clerk of the Superior Court, Thomas Hylton; Clerk of the Inferior Court, Robert Williams; Surveyor, Robert Stafford; Register of Probate, Lemuel Lanier; and Coroner, William Briger.
 
Erected 1952 by
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-6.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 20, 1779.
 
Location. 32° 45.019′ N, 81° 38.2′ W. Marker is in Sylvania, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is on Ogeechee Street (Business U.S. 301) near Main Street (Georgia Route 21), in the median. Marker is on the west side of the Town Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sylvania GA 30467, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sylvania (here, next to this marker); The Sinking of the H.M.S. Otranto (a few steps from this marker); Wesleyanna Memorial Church (approx. 4 miles away); Jacksonborough (approx. 5.4 miles away); The 14th Corps (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Goodall House (approx. 5.4 miles away); Washington's Route (approx. 5.4 miles away); John Abbot (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvania.
 
Also see . . .  Official website of the Screven County Chamber of Commerce. (Submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Screven County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Screven County Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,603 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7799

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024