Rutland in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
John Deere was born February, 7th, 1804 the third son of William Rinold Deere and Sarah Yates Deere. It is presumed that Sarah gave birth to John at home; over William Deere’s Rutland tailor shop located on the east side of Main St. across from the park. In 1805, the family moved to Middlebury, Vermont where at the age of 17, he learned the blacksmith trade as an apprentice. When hard times hit the region in the 1830s, Deere decided to leave his wife and family temporarily and venture west. In 1836 Deere moved to Grand Detour, Illinois where, in 1837 he built the world’s first steel moldboard plow - "The Plow that Tamed The West".
Erected 2012 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 43° 36.509′ N, 72° 58.355′ W. Marker is in Rutland, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 4) and West Street (Business U.S. 4), on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Marker is located in the NE corner of Main Street Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rutland VT 05701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Fort Rutland Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Old State House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old State House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Green Mountain Boys (about 400 feet away); Rutland World War I Memorial (about 500 feet away); Korea War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Major General Merritt A. Edson (about 700 feet away); Rutland G.A.R. Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rutland.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - John Deere. (Submitted on October 15, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for John Deere.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.