Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brentsville in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Brentsville

 
 
Brentsville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, July 5, 2020
1. Brentsville Marker
Inscription.  
Fourth seat of the Prince William County government. Courthouse, jail, Episcopal Chapel, and White House were built in 1822 on land originally part of the Brent Town tract confiscated from Robert Bristow, a Tory, in 1779.

♦ St. James Church of Dettingen Parish (now Hatcher’s Memorial Baptist), was built in 1847 on the site of the old chapel.
♦ During the War Between the States Col. Mosby operated in this area.
♦ In 1893 the county seat was moved to Manassas.
 
Erected 1980 by the Prince William Historical Commission. (Marker Number 41.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionNotable BuildingsPolitical SubdivisionsWar, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Prince William County Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1822.
 
Location. 38° 41.362′ N, 77° 30.011′ W. Marker is in Brentsville, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker
Brentsville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, July 5, 2020
2. Brentsville Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
is on Bristow Road (Virginia Route 619) 4.2 miles east of Nokesville Road (Virginia Route 28), on the right when traveling west. It is near the Brentsville Park entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12246 Bristow Rd, Bristow VA 20136, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 14 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. One-Room School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Clerk's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Tavern Square (within shouting distance of this marker); County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Public Lot (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Brentsville (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre (within shouting distance of this marker); 1822 Tavern Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Tavern Cellar (within shouting distance of this marker); Outbuildings (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brentsville.
 
More about this marker. Marker is at the Brenstville Courthouse Historic Centre.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Brentsvillle was the location for the fourth Prince William County Courthouse. The list includes all five Prince William County Courthouses
Brentsville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 24, 2006
3. Brentsville Marker
This was the original placement of this marker.
in sequence from first through the fifth.
 
Prince William County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 24, 2006
4. Prince William County Courthouse
Built circa 1822 on three acres. Restored to its 1830s appearance.
Prince Wiliam County Jail image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 24, 2006
5. Prince Wiliam County Jail
Built circa 1822, next to the courthouse.
Brentsville Union Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 24, 2006
6. Brentsville Union Church
Built circa 1874. In its day it was available for use by any religious denomination.
One Room Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 24, 2006
7. One Room Schoolhouse
Built circa 1928 on the foundation of the Clerk of the Court office building, which was destroyed during the Civil War.
Hatcher’s Memorial Baptist Church - Front image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
8. Hatcher’s Memorial Baptist Church - Front
Hatcher’s Memorial Baptist Church - South side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
9. Hatcher’s Memorial Baptist Church - South side
Note the unique stained glass windows.
Hatcher’s Memorial Baptist Church - North side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
10. Hatcher’s Memorial Baptist Church - North side
Note the stained glass windows.
Hall Log Cabin image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
11. Hall Log Cabin
Renovations on the Hall Log Cabin recently started. The building will be interpreted as an 1830s homestead and used to educate the public about life in rural, early 19th century Prince William County.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,594 times since then and 108 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 21, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on September 26, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=780

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 1, 2022