Plattsmouth in Cass County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Company A – First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry
On June 11, 1861, the Plattsmouth volunteers were mustered in as Company A, First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry. For three years, the regiment campaigned in the South, participating in major battles at Fort Donelson and Shiloh in Tennessee. Returning to Nebraska in 1864, the regiment (by then a cavalry unit) was sent to Fort Kearny. From there, small detachments were deployed to protect emigrant wagon trains, mail and passenger coaches, and road ranches against the threat of Indian attack. The regiment continued in service on the plains until July, 1866, when it was mustered out at Omaha. Robert R. Livingston rose to command the First Nebraska, with the rank of Brevet Brigadier General, before returning
Erected by Plattsmouth Lions Club and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 242.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln, and the Nebraska State Historical Society series lists.
Location. 41° 0.681′ N, 95° 53.212′ W. Marker is in Plattsmouth, Nebraska, in Cass County. Marker is on Main Street west of North 6th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 646 Main Street, Plattsmouth NE 68048, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Budweiser Building 1888 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wetenkamp Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cass County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vienna Bakery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Drew/Weckbach (approx. 0.2 miles away); Excelsior Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blake Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Plattsmouth Bridge 1930 (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plattsmouth.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 16, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.