Albion in Orleans County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
We have about 40 of the hitching posts in Albion and Gaines. Many are by the side of the road in front of cobblestone and other historic homes in the community.
We also have an impressive collection of carriage steps and mounting blocks that were used to climb in and out of the horse-drawn carriages and sleighs. Many of these blocks bear the names of prominent families from the 1800s.
Albion and Gaines benefitted from a superior building material Medina Sandstone. The stone was an abundant resource locally, and skilled stone cutters turned many of these hitching posts into works of art.
The Albion community grew quickly after the Erie Canal opened in 1825. The downtown district emerged and livery stables, blacksmith shops, hitching posts and watering troughs lined Main Street.
A hitching post stands in front of a cobblestone home on Zig Zag Road in Albion.
The mounting block 1878
There are several hitching posts at the Cobblestone Society Museum, including this one in front of the harness shop just south of the intersection of routes 98 and 104.
A carriage step remains on East State Street in front of one of the many historic homes in the community.
Panel design by Lake Country Pennysaver. Photos and text by Tom Rivers. C.W. Lattin, consultant.
Erected 2014 by NYS Main Street.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 43° 14.799′ N, 78° 11.616′ W. Marker is in Albion, New York, in Orleans County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (New York State Route 98) and East State Street, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. Marker is just north of the intersection past the First Presbyterian Church and south of a municipal parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albion NY 14411, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Irish, English, Italian and Polish Immigrants (a few Swan Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Orleans County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Log Cabin Site (about 400 feet away); The First Free Methodist (about 400 feet away); Christ Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); John Cunneen 1848-1907 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albion.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 345 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 18, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.