Dartmouth in Halifax Region, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
Looking north from the walking bridge you see Lock 2. This lock was the first to be constructed on the Canal. Initially the lock was built totally of granite blocks (British construction method), as seen on the east wall. After the first Canal Company ceased operating in 1831 the workings of the Canal fell into disrepair. When the Canal was redesigned in 1854 by Charles William Fairbanks, a Dartmouth native, he introduced a composite stone and brace method (North American construction method), as seen on the west wall, modeled on the Morris Canal in New Jersey. However, he decided to reuse the granite on the east wall. This may be the only example of such a combination of construction methods on any Canal in the world. This lock raised and lowered vessels approximately 3.6 meters (12 feet).
Erected by Shubenacadie Canal Commission. (Marker Number 04.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1831.
Location. 44° 41.947′ N, 63° 33.145′ W. Marker is in DartmouthTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 54 Lock Road, Dartmouth NS B2X, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barges, Steamboats and Scows (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Shubenacadie Canal System (within shouting distance of this marker); Lightning Strikes at Canal Camp (within shouting distance of this marker); A Testament to Hard Work (within shouting distance of this marker); A Changing Lake-scape (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); A Village of the Most Primitive Description (about 180 meters away); Of Bough and Bark (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Before the Canal (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dartmouth.
More about this marker. This marker is in Shubie Park on the north side of the bridge across the canal.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.