Near Corning in Adams County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Landed in New Orleans in 1848 all applied for citizenship, same year. Settled near Dallas, Texas, where many died of fever, the others returned to New Orleans. Later the same year they moved to Nauvoo, Ill. By 1854 they owned 1,500 acres of land.
In 1860, 235 of this group bought 9 sections of land in Adams County, Iowa, for miles East of Corning. Buildings were placed in a parallelogram around a central dining and recreation hall. The school house is now Prescott No. 8, still standing.
Colony dissolved in 1895. Cemetery and three buildings privately owned are ¾ miles North of this marker.
Much of the 2,000 volume library is in the University of Omaha.
Erected by Corning Iowa BPW Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 40° 58.773′ N, 94° 40.832′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corning IA 50841, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Corning Freedom Rock Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.8 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); Fairview Church (approx. 3 miles away); City of Corning Fire Bell (approx. 3 miles away); Mt. Etna United Methodist Church (approx. 3 miles away); Adams County Jail (approx. 3 miles away); First Adams County Mill (approx. 3 miles away); The Bell (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corning.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2017. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 584 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.