Lunenburg in Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
The Labrador Whaler Anderson Bros.
Alexander Anderson won at the International Exhibition in London a medal and diploma for a full rigged dory and whaleboat, and later, was awarded a medal and diploma at the World’s Fair in Chicago in 1893 for a full rigged whaleboat. He worked as a boatbuilder for 50 years, 30 of them in partnership with his brother Michael.
In 1883 Messrs. M. & A. Anderson built: 40 Labrador whalers, 12 vessel boats, 10 skiff boats, 3 shore whalers, 70 dories, and 1 whale boat of 14 tons. The Anderson boats were always painted white with a red inch bead around the upper boards.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
Location. 44° 22.544′ N, 64° 18.651′ W. Marker is in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, in Lunenburg County. Marker is on Bluenose Drive close to King Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 68 Bluenose Drive, Lunenburg, Nova Scotia B0J, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lunenburg’s Fishing Industry Since 1940’s (within shouting distance of this marker); Lunenburg’s Fishing Industry 1870’s - 1940’s (within shouting distance of this marker); Lunenburg - Home of the Bluenose & Bluenose II (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town Lunenburg Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); “…for those in peril on the sea.” (within shouting distance of this marker); Rum Running (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Lunenburg’s Fishing Industry to the 1870’s (about 150 meters away); Lunenburg’s Shipbuilding Tradition (approx. 0.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lunenburg.
More about this marker. This marker is located on boardwalk next to the water.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 346 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.