Near Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The ice house was probably built sometime between 1876 and 1889. It remained in use until the mid-1930s and was restored by the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority in 1983.
Erected 2008 by Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Agriculture. In addition, it is included in the NOVA Parks series list.
Location. 39° 6.758′ N, 77° 30.539′ W. Marker is near Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Edwards Ferry Road (County Route 773) and Red Rock Way, on the right when traveling west on Edwards Ferry Road. Located at the parking lot for the Red Rock Wilderness Overview Regional Park. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carriage House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Red Rock Wilderness Overlook Regional Park (about 300 feet away); Well House (about 400 feet away); Two-Chambered Granary (about 400 feet away); Ball’s Bluff Masked Battery (approx. one mile away); Confederate Earthworks (approx. 1.1 miles away); Edwards Ferry (approx. 1.2 miles away); 18th Mississippi Infantry (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
More about this marker. On the right side of the marker is a photograph of the ice house.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,486 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.