Near Dresden in Chatham-Kent Division, Ontario — Central Canada
Built in the mid-19th century, this house was the last residence of Josiah Henson and his second wife, Nancy Gambril, who lived in it until Henson’s death in 1883. Henson’s house was substantial in size compared to other residential buildings in the area at the time and stands as a symbol of his status in the community.
After Henson’s death, the house underwent changes under several different owners before William Chapple purchased it in 1940. In 1948 he opened the house as a museum, moved it to a new site and attempted to return the house to its original condition. Jack Thomson purchased the house in 1964 and relocated it here, one-half kilometer northeast of its original location.
Chapple’s and Thomson’s efforts to restore Henson’s house as a museum ensured its survival at a time when the architectural conservation movement had not yet been popularized in Ontario. Henson House is significant for its association with Reverend Josiah Henson and is an example of mid-19th century vernacular domestic architecture.
Construite au milieu de 19ᵉ siècle, cette maison fut la
Après le décès de Henson, la maison fut transformée par plusieurs propriétaires, avant d’être achetée par William Chapple, en 1940. En 1948, il transforma la maison en musée, l’installa sur un nouveau site et essaya de lui redonner son apparence d’antan. Jack Thomson acheta la maison en 1964 plus la réinstalla ice, a un demi-kilomètre au nord-est de son emplacement original.
Les efforts déployés par Chapple et Thomson pour restaurer la maison Henson de la transformer en musée permirent d’assurer sa survie à une époque oû le mouvement de conservation architecturale n’était pas encore devenu populaire en Ontario. La maison Henson revêt une importance de par son association avec le révérend Josiah Henson et en tant qu’exemple d’architecture canadienne vernaculaire du milieu de 19ᵉ siècle.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Trust.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: African Americans.
Location. 42° 35.133′ N, 82° 11.75′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29251 Uncle Tom's Road, Dresden, Ontario N0P 1M0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spirituality and Community (a few steps from this marker); Sawmill (within shouting distance of this marker); Josiah Henson (within shouting distance of this marker); Harris House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dawn Settlement (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Founding of Dresden (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Burning of British Ships / American Encampment (approx. 16.8 kilometers away); The Legend of the Paw Paw (approx. 16.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dresden.
More about this marker. The Henson House is on the grounds of the Uncle Tom's Cabin Historic Site.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 30, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.