Irwin in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This stockade, enclosing a blockhouse and several buildings, was built by the pioneers of the Brush Creek community on the plantation of Christopher Walthour. It was the chief place of refuge and defense of the early settlers for more than a decade against the frequent Indian raids made in this section and throughout western Pennsylvania.
Erected 1938 by Norwin High, The Irwin, and North Huntingdon Township Schools.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1774.
Location. 40° 19.222′ N, 79° 41.1′ W. Marker is in Irwin, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland County. Marker is on Pennsylvania Avenue 0.2 miles west of Rocky Road, on the right when traveling east. Located behind Kohl's in Irwin. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Irwin PA 15642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Beginning of the Lincoln Highway (approx. 1.4 miles away); John Irwin House (approx. 1˝ miles away); Braddock's Military Road 1755 Monacatootha's CampBraddock's Military Road 1755 (approx. 2.8 miles away); Long Run Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Bushy Run (approx. 3˝ miles away); Bushy Run Battlefield (approx. 4 miles away); Ambush (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Irwin.
Also see . . . Blockhouse an example of private 'fort-itude'. April 24, 2009 article in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (Submitted on November 1, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,329 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.