Bellaire in Belmont County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Union Square and its Uses / The Question of Ownership
Union Square and Its Uses
Labeled "Union Square" on the first village maps, block 12 of the City of Bellaire was formed by joining portions of the Harris and Rodefer Farms in 1857. Used for tent shows, circuses, political meetings, and playing baseball, the land during the Civil War was used as a canteen for feeding Union recruits from nearby Camp Jefferson. Stonemasons cut sandstone blocks here that make up "Great Stone Viaduct" railroad bridge. A steam derrick and stable for horses that helped to move the sandstone to the bridge's construction site were also placed temporarily on this land. In 1882, a monument was erected to honor Civil War veterans as "Union Square" became a city park. Former President Theodore Roosevelt delivered a speech here to the citizens of Bellaire in 1912.
The Question of Ownership
This square is a "union," or joining of portions of the Rodefer Farm on the north and the Harris Farm on the south. Colonel John H. Sullivan and Mr. John Heaton were the principal proprietors of these farms and set aside this parcel to entice the county seat to move
Erected 2010 by Village of Bellaire, Ohio and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-7.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #26 Theodore Roosevelt, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists.
Location. 40° 1.007′ N, 80° 44.529′ W. Marker is in Bellaire, Ohio, in Belmont County. Marker is on Belmont Street 0.1 miles north of 34th Street, on the right when traveling south. Located in Union Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellaire OH 43906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Willow Grove Mine (within shouting distance of this marker); Bellaire High School Clock Tower / Central School Clock Tower and Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel John H. Sullivan (within shouting distance of this marker); West Washington Street World War II Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War II Memorial (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellaire.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 2, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 475 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 2, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.