Towson in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Behind the Big House
Domestic Service Buildings
— Hampton National Historic Site, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
At Hampton’s height, hundreds of workers labored to make this a self-sufficient and profitable estate. Slaves and servants who worked in the mansion carried out their daily chores in this yard and also had living quarters in this area (see octagonal foundation nearby). In the early 19ths century, there were more outbuildings than you see now, including a carpenter’s shed and smokehouse. In the 1850s, a gas works was built nearby. Servants heated coal to make gas, which was fed through pipes to the mansion. The Ridgelys used gas lighting until electricity was installed in 1929.
(Inscriptions under the photo of the buildings reading left to right)
Garage, 1910-This garage was for cars, which replaced carriages in the early 1900s; Shed; Storage Shed; Privies-These multi-seat outhouses were sanitary facilities. In back are trap doors for cleaning.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Romance with Nature: The Falling Garden (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ice Cream in July (about 400 feet away); Oranges in January (about 400 feet away); Ridgely's Pride (about 400 feet away); Hampton: An American Story (about 500 feet away); Greenhouse #2 (about 500 feet away); Captain Charles Ridgely (about 600 feet away); In Memoriam (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Towson.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 438 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.