Albertville in Marshall County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Birthplace of Albertville
The City of Albertville traces its origin here to 406 East Main Street, where on Jan. 13, 1860, James C. Miller (1833-1862) established a post office in his log cabin home, which also doubled as the community’s first store. Miller, who was later killed during the War Between the States, named the post office “Albertville” in honor of his father-in-law, Thomas A. Albert (1796-1876).
Erected 1969 by Chamber of Commerce Sesquicentennial Committee.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list.
Location. 34° 15.94′ N, 86° 12.146′ W. Marker is in Albertville, Alabama, in Marshall County. Marker is on East Main Street (County Route 26) east of Andrew Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 406 East Main Street, Albertville AL 35950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liberty Tree Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Seventh District Agricultural SchoolPre-Civil War Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Albert Family (approx. 0.8 miles away); A Celebration of 150 Years (approx. 0.8 miles away); City of Boaz (approx. 5.1 miles away); Sardis City Beginnings (approx. 7.6 miles away); Ravine Used For Protection Against Yankee Shelling (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albertville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 538 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.