Little Falls in Morrison County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Little Falls Commercial Historic District
The Little Falls Commercial Historic District is comprised of 32 contributing buildings that were constructed between 1887 and 1936, a time of tremendous growth for the city. The construction of the Little Falls dam in 1887-1888 spurred this growth by attracting major industries (milling, lumber, and manufacturing) to town to take advantage of the water power it generated.
Prior to dam construction, the 1880 census showed a population of 508 people in Little Falls. By 1890, the population more than quadrupled, reaching 2,354 people. By 1895, it had grown again, more than doubling, to a total of 5,116.
[Aerial photo and key to historic district]
The population boom brought with it a boom in building homes and commercial buildings, including those in the Historic District. The architectural styles of the era - Italianate, Queen Anne, Classical Revival, Tudor Revival, Italian Renaissance, and Moderne - inspired the look of the Historic District. A local flair was added through the use of yellow brick produced in three brickyards that were located on the western edge of the city.
Two post-1920 factors
National Register of Historic Places
The Little Falls Commercial Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
In addition, the City of Little Falls has 8 other properties on the National Register.
The Burton-Rosenmeier House (home of the Little Falls Convention & Visitors Bureau)
Episcopal Church of Our Savior
Little Falls Carnegie Library
Morrison County Courthouse
Northern Pacific Depot (home of the Little Falls Area Chamber of Commerce)
Our Lady of Angels Academy
Pine Tree Lumber Company Office
Charles A. Weyerhaeuser and Richer Drew Musser Houses (Linden Hill)
Little Falls Dam
The construction of the Little Falls Dam in 1887-1888 brought immediate improvements to the city. In addition to creating jobs, the dam and power plant provided the city's residential and commercial areas with an excellent lighting system and water supply.
City Hall & Courthouse
Little Falls was initially platted in 1855, was organized as a village in 1879, and was
The intersection of East Broadway and First Street within the Little Falls Commercial Historic District became the city's financial center and was known as "Bank Square." The Morrison County Bank, founded circa 1881, was located in the southwestern corner of the intersection. It eventually became known as the German American National Bank.
The First National Bank was organized in 1888 and in 1891 was housed in the newly-completed Butler Block, located in the northwestern corner of the intersection.
The Historic District served as a social and cultural focal point for the community as buildings such as the Buckman Hotel housed numerous social gatherings.
Historic Downtown Walking and Driving Tour Brochures
[Acrylic box holding brochures]
Erected by City of Little Falls.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 45° 58.573′ N, 94° 21.767′ W. Marker is in Little Falls, MinnesotaTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Little Falls MN 56345, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sprandel Block (here, next to this marker); Rhodes-Wetzel Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Rhodes-Tanner Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Black and White Cafe (within shouting distance of this marker); Butler Block (within shouting distance of this marker); 75 East Broadway (within shouting distance of this marker); W. Tonn Block (within shouting distance of this marker); 66 East Broadway (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Little Falls.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2023. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 606 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 8, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 5. submitted on February 4, 2023, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.