Santa Rosa Beach in Walton County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gulf Cemetery was established circa 1910 when the town of Santa Rosa was established on Hogtown Bayou. The town's first families began to bury their loved ones at this site, the area's highest elevation with a view of the Gulf of Mexico. The cemetery was formally established as a U.S. Government parcel on June 17th, 1914, when President Woodrow Wilson signed patent 414345, which authorized the sale of 40 acres of land to the Gulf Cemetery Association. Gulf Cemetery and the Alango Cemetery in St. Louis County Minnesota, are the only two U.S. patented cemeteries still in operation east of the Mississippi River. Gulf Cemetery has faced numerous since its establishment. It was sold in error three times for delinquent property taxes and, more recently, was threatened by private development. Originally the cemetery was subdivided by various religious denominations but now the grounds are interdenominational. The cemetery contains the remains of many veterans, as well as those of pioneer families, some marked by wooden crosses and weathered monuments, who were instrumental in the founding of the South Walton community. The cemetery's long tradition
Erected 2013 by the Gulf Cemetery Association, Inc and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-795.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #28 Woodrow Wilson series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1825.
Location. 30° 21.246′ N, 86° 13.793′ W. Marker is in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, in Walton County. Marker is on County Road 393, 1.4 miles south of U.S. 98, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1466 South County Highway 393, Santa Rosa Beach FL 32459, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eden (approx. 6.8 miles away); Freeport Masonic Hall (approx. 11.1 miles away); EOD Memorial (approx. 13.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Welcome to Historic Gulf Cemetery. Cemetery website homepage (Submitted on November 8, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 429 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 4, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 8, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.