Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This millpond is connected to other ponds in Greenfield Village based on an original 1929 design by Henry Ford.
In many early villages and towns, millponds were created by damming streams and rivers to build up a reserve of water. Millers controlled a release that directed some of the water through channels toward the mills, like those in the Liberty Craftwork district. The water the turned a water wheel that powered the mill machinery.
Created in 2003 in Greenfield Village.
Erected by The Henry Ford.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. 42° 18.378′ N, 83° 13.829′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is on Mill Road near Junction Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dearborn MI 48124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Hanks Silk Mill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Armington & Sims Machine Shop (about 400 feet away); Smith Creek Depot (about 600 feet away); Wright Cycle Shop (about 600 feet away); Sir John Bennett Jewelry Shop (about 700 feet away); The Carver Lab (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas Edison’s Menlo Park Office and Library (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
More about this marker. This marker and the mill pond are found in Greenfield Village, a outdoor historical museum/park, located at 20900 Oakwood Boulevard in Dearborn, Michigan. The road names use on this page are those found inside Greenfield Village and are for pedestrians use only (except for the occasional Model T running around).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.