Jacksonboro in Colleton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bethel Presbyterian Church
Erected 1964 by Colleton County Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-8.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1728.
Location. 32° 47.929′ N, 80° 29.748′ W. Marker is in Jacksonboro, South Carolina, in Colleton County. Marker is on Charleston Hwy (State Highway 64), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonboro SC 29452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Burial Site of Captain John Herbert Dent (here, next to this marker); Battle Of Parker's Ferry (approx. half a mile away); Pon Pon Chapel (approx. half a mile away); a different marker Pon Pon Chapel (approx. ¾ mile away); Ruins of Pon Pon Chapel of Ease (approx. 0.8 miles away); Colonel Issac Hayne (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fateful Choices - The Hanging Of Isaac Hayne (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Jacksonborough (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonboro.
More about this marker. Marker is 12 miles East of Walterboro
Regarding Bethel Presbyterian Church. Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery remains today the site of the church organized 1728 by Rev. Archibald Stobo, the father of the Presbyterian Church in South Carolina. Until the Revolution, all ministers of Bethel came from Scotland. The first building was called the "Meeting House" and lasted until 1746 when a handsome church was erected. Eleven thousand handmade bricks made up the foundation of the forty-foot square building. This colonial church was destroyed by a forest fire in 1886. Buried here is Commander John Herbert Dent, acting commanding officer of the USS Constitution, "Old Ironsides."
Related marker. another marker that is related to this marker. The Bethel Presbyterian Church in Walterboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,422 times since then and 135 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.