Two Harbors in Lake County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Two Harbors Light Station
After the Minnesota Iron Company began shipping iron ore from the Vermilion Range through the Two Harbors ore docks in 1884, this port far surpassed Duluth in importance. The increased traffic of ore boats, combined with commercial fishing, made navigation extremely hazardous. Many ships went aground or were dashed to bits along the foggy, rocky shoreline of Lake Superior. The Two Harbors Light Station, completed in 1892, alleviated the danger.
It was equipped with a Fourth Order Fresnel Lens, consisting of glass prisms surrounding a light source. The central prism magnified the light, while those above and below refracted it into a single beam. The volatility of kerosene, which originally powered the light source, dictated the design of the keeper's house. The two-story main house is constructed of walls two bricks thick. The walls of the adjoining light tower are three bricks thick, making the wall between five bricks thick. This gave added protection should the kerosene explode.
The fog signal house includes displays depicting the North Shore fishing industry. Also on site is the assistant keeper's house and the restored
National Register of Historic Places
Erected by Minnesota's Wild North.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
Location. 47° 0.827′ N, 91° 39.86′ W. Marker is in Two Harbors, Minnesota, in Lake County. Marker is at the entrance to the Two Harbors Light Station Gift Shop (former Fog Signal Building), at the south end of 3rd Street, near the Agate Bay Breakwater. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Two Harbors MN 55616, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Two Harbors Light Station - Agate Bay (a few steps from this marker); Two Harbors Breakwater (within shouting distance of this marker); Crusader II (within shouting distance of this marker); Agate Bay Commercial Fishing Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Hand Car, Velocipede, Sleigh, Station Wagon (approx. 0.4 miles away); D&IR Railroad Company Sleigh (approx. half a mile away); First Ore Taken From A Minnesota Mine First Ore Taken From A Minnesota Mine (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Two Harbors.
Also see . . .
1. Two Harbors Light Station. Lake County Historical Society website homepage (Submitted on November 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Two Harbors Lighthouse. Lighthouse Friends website entry (Submitted on November 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.