Sylvania in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hq. Right Wing (Howard) and Hq. 15th Corps (Osterhaus) were across the Ogeechee River beyond Cameron. Hq. Left Wing (Slocum) and Hq. 20th Corps (Williams) were on the Middle Ground road S of Sylvania. Hq. 14th Corps was near Jacksonboro, on the old Augusta-Savannah road N of Sylvania.
Next day, Gen. Sherman advanced to Oliver where a Confederate Force was entrenching.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-24A.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Sherman’s March to the Sea series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is December 4, 1782.
Location. 32° 34.004′ N, 81° 39.119′ W. Marker is in Sylvania, Georgia, in Screven CountyTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sylvania GA 30467, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The March to the Sea (approx. 3˝ miles away); Cooperville (approx. 3˝ miles away); Louisville Road (approx. 3˝ miles away); Old Savannah Road (approx. 4.4 miles away); Union Meeting House (approx. 4.4 miles away); New Hope Methodist Church (approx. 6 miles away); a different marker also named Union Meeting House (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Confederate Line (approx. 7˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,645 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.