Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Perth Amboy in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Governorís House

 
 
Governorís House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, May 24, 2008
1. Governorís House Marker
Inscription.  
Built by the colonial proprietors of East Jersey in 1762, with bricks which were brought from England.

Occupied first by Frederick Smyth, Chief Justice of the colony. Then, in 1774, by William Franklin, who was appointed Governor by the Crown.

In 1809 it became a hotel called the Brighton House at which time the south wing was added.

During the Civil War it was patronized by Army and Navy officers of prominence.

Presented by the Perth Amboy History Club
May 1930
 
Erected 1930 by Perth Amboy History Club.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraGovernment & PoliticsWar, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1930.
 
Location. 40° 30.209′ N, 74° 16.148′ W. Marker is in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearny Avenue and Harrison Place, on the right when traveling south on Kearny Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 149 Kearny Avenue, Perth Amboy NJ 08861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance

Governorís House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 7, 2015
2. Governorís House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker. Proprietary House (a few steps from this marker); St. Peterís Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oldest Parish in the State (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Peterís Episcopal Church & Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas Mundy Peterson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kearny Cottage (approx. ľ mile away); The Bill of Rights Arch (approx. ľ mile away); The Perth Amboy Fireman's Triangle Forged 1883 (approx. ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perth Amboy.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Proprietary House. Museum webpage (Submitted on May 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Marker on Kearny Avenue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, May 24, 2008
3. Marker on Kearny Avenue
Royal Governor William Franklin moved here from Burlington in 1774 to be among people who shared his pro-British beliefs.
Proprietary House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, May 24, 2008
4. Proprietary House
This was the home of William Franklin, the last Royal Governor of New Jersey. The Loyalist governor was arrested by order of the Continental Congress on June 19, 1776 for being "an enemy to the liberties of this country" and imprisoned for more than two years.
Back Entrance to the Proprietary House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, May 24, 2008
5. Back Entrance to the Proprietary House
Back of Governor's Mansion image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, May 24, 2008
6. Back of Governor's Mansion
This photo shows the south wing (to the right) that was added in 1809 when this house served as a hotel called the Brighton House.
The Royal Governorís Mansion image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, May 24, 2008
7. The Royal Governorís Mansion
After the arrest of Gov. William Franklin, this house became the headquarters of Gen. Hugh Mercer. Mercer joined Washington on the retreat across New Jersey in November of 1776, and British Gen. William Howe took over the mansion. It remained his headquarters while his troops occupied the area.
Dining Room in the Governorís House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 7, 2015
8. Dining Room in the Governorís House
Governorís House Drawing Room image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 7, 2015
9. Governorís House Drawing Room
Royal Gov. William Franklin enjoys a drink in the Drawing Room of the Proprietary House.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,079 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   2. submitted on June 7, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   8, 9. submitted on June 7, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7888

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 15, 2022