English: Today's theater building was originally a youth club and then later used by the Young Woman Congregation of Schaan as a club house to stage plays. It was built in 1913-14 in a prominent location in the vicinity of the parish church of St. Lawrence and its rectory. In addition to dramatic arts, gymnastics and other physical activities were practiced in the facility. In the multi-purpose building public events and meetings were held. During the 1940s, the building provided overflow school space. Purchased by the City in 1968, the house was in need of extensive renovation, which it later underwent. From the developing small theater scene in the club house the "Theater on Church Square" emerged. The congregation left the club house with the support of private parties to remodel a small theater. Renovation of the theater under the the famous architect Ernst Gisel Zurich was started in 1972. Since then, the Theater at the Church Square, TaK for short, developed into a nationally respected cultural institution. The facility underwent a larger renovation in 1995, which was then followed almost another ten years later by another conversion and extension of the theater building, which has been operated in
Erected by Stadt Schaan. (Marker Number 19.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Arts, Letters, Music. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
Location. 47° 10.035′ N, 9° 30.706′ E. Marker is in Schaan. Marker is on Reberastrasse just east of Kirchstrasse, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Reberastrasse 10, Schaan 9494, Liechtenstein. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. I Had a Comerade (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); City Hall / Former School (about 210 meters away).
More about this marker. This is Station 19 on the Schaan Cultural Way.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 23, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.