Near Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Erected 1927 by Nebraska Society U.S. Daughters of 1812.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the United States Daughters of 1812, National Society series list.
Location. 41° 22.401′ N, 95° 57.217′ W. Marker is near Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of John J Pershing Dr and Hummel Rd, on the left when traveling north on John J Pershing Dr. Marker is located at the entrance to Hummel Park and co-located with John Pierre Cabanne's. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Omaha NE 68112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Pierrre Cabanne's (here, next to this marker); Lewis and Clark Campsite (approx. The Road to Zion (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Florence Mill (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named The Florence Mill (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Mormon Pioneer Trail (approx. 2.2 miles away); A Meeting House for the Saints (approx. 2.2 miles away); From Indian Lands to the Golden Gate (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
More about this marker. The marker had been in disrepair for many years and was recently rebuilt by the United States Daughters of 1812 in Nebraska in collaboration with the Daughters of the American Revolution who placed the Pierre Cabanne marker on the other side. Both markers were rededicated in a ceremony held October 11, 2008.
Regarding Fort Lisa. There was more than one Fort Lisa; this was the first of two.
Also see . . . Fort Lisa. From NEGenWeb Project. This site contains an expanded history of Fort Lisa including a photo of the site from 1902. (Submitted on August 9, 2008, by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2008, by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 2,856 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 24, 2008, by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska. 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 14, 2008, by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?