Malone in Franklin County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Star of the North
On this site, known as 'The Center', the village that became Malone was first settled in 1802. Harison Academy, the first public building, was erected in 1806 on land donated by the community's proprietor, Richard Harison, Esq. In 1811-13, a Court House was erected by Noah Moody on the hill west of the river. Following the original settlers from Vermont came many from French Canada and Ireland. From 1850 to the mid-20th century, Malone was a center of agriculture, manufacturing, education, and cultural activities earning the nickname, 'Star of the North.'
Forestry and farming were the first industries and remain important to the region. To serve these industries, mills quickly followed using the abundant waterpower. Carding mills followed grist and sawmills, as Malone became an important center for woolen mills, and wool remains important to the local economy. Just south of this site is situated a colorful stone structure, Horton's Mill. One of the first mills built, it remains as Malone's oldest standing structure. The importance of agriculture and the abundance of trees gave rise to another
The first road through the area followed the edge of the mountains and crossed the rivers at the 'fall line.' This road is now called US Route 11 and 'The Center' took advantage of both the road and the water to generate industry. In 1817, President Monroe paused to admire the stone bridge then being built. The Lake Champlain and Ogdensburg railroad was opened in 1850. Later called the Rutland, it connected New England and Boston with the Great Lakes waterway and it brought commerce, visitors, and settlers to Franklin County for more than a century. You can still see the railroad abutments downriver. Just to the west behind the Courthouse, the switching yard, repair shops, and roundhouse were located. The twin towers of its distinctive terminal still stand just north of this site on Elm Street. Later, the New York Central connected the Adirondacks with the urban areas to the north and south. It crossed the Rutland line at Malone Junction on outer Elm Street where a second station still stands. This made Malone an important railroad crossroads.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #05 James Monroe series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1802.
Location. 44° 50.918′ N, 74° 17.577′ W. Marker is in Malone, New York, in Franklin County. Marker is on East Main Street (U.S. 11) 0.1 miles west of Elm Street (New York State Route 30), on the left when traveling west. Marker is at a small overlook parking area at the east end of the US 11 bridge, south side of the street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Malone NY 12953, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Non Sibi Sed Patriae (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Congressional Medal of Honor (about 500 feet away); Foote Tavern (approx. ¼ mile away); To the Memory of All Men of Franklin County, N.Y. (approx. ¼ mile away); Arsenal Green (approx. ¼ mile away); Home of William Almon Wheeler (approx. ¼ mile away); Congregational Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Franklin Co. Fair (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Malone.
More about this marker. Northernmost New York State is known as "The North Country".
Regarding Historic Malone.
Also see . . . Horton Mill Project - Franklin County Historical and Museum Society. (Submitted on November 19, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 429 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 19, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.