Laurel in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Prince Georges County's Only Mill Town
— Riverfront Park Heritage & Nature Trail —
The Laurel mill originally manufactured cotton duck, used for sails, tents and the Conestoga Wagons that settled the west. Cotton ramie and window shades were produced there in later years.
Laurel's Main Street evolved as a conduit for importing raw materials and for hauling manufactured goods by wagon from the mill to the railroad station where they traveled to Baltimore.
Mills were Laurel's primary employer for many years but mill workers' jobs were often uncertain. The Laurel Mill burned and was rebuilt. It changed hands frequently, opened, went bankrupt, and reopened again. The mill closed for good in 1929.
During WWI, soldiers were housed in the mill and trained in nearby "Camp Laurel" before going to war.
Erected by City of Laurel Dpartment of Parks and Recreation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. 39° 6.58′ N, 76° 51.448′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 Main Street, Laurel MD 20707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Laurel Cotton Mill and Dam (here, next to this marker); Laurel Factory: A Mill Town (a few steps from this marker); Casula Point (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Laurel: A Factory Town Bridging Two Counties (about 300 feet away); Laurel Harnessed the River to Power the Cotton Mill (about 300 feet away); Water From the Dam Powered the Cotton Mill (about 500 feet away); Methodism in Laurel (about 500 feet away); Early Buildings on St. Mary's Place (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laurel.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 22, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.