Princeton in Caldwell County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
County Named, 1809
For General John Caldwell. Born Virginia; came Kentucky 1781. Maj. Gen. in militia; Indian campaigns. With George Rogers Clark, 1786. Member Danville Conventions, 1787, 1788, which adopted petition “demanding admission into the Union.” State Senator, 1792-96. Elected Lt. Gov. with Gov. Greenup, 1804; served Sept. 4 to death, Nov. 19, 1804. Caldwell out of Livingston County.
Erected 1965 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 834.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 4, 1914.
Location. 37° 6.543′ N, 87° 52.9′ W. Marker is in Princeton, Kentucky, in Caldwell County. Marker is at the intersection of East Court Square and U.S. 62, on the left when traveling north on East Court Square. Marker is near the sidewalk Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Market Street, Princeton KY 42445, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Courthouse Burned (within shouting distance of this marker); Black Patch War (within shouting distance of this marker); William Prince, 1752-1810 / Founder of Princeton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shandy Hall (Princeton) (about 400 feet away); Trail of Tears (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Shandy Hall (Princeton) (about 500 feet away); Ogden Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Princeton First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Princeton.
Regarding County Named, 1809. On May 1, 1809, Caldwell County, Kentucky was formed from Livingston County, Kentucky. Caldwell County, Kentucky was named for Lt. Governor John Caldwell, a man who had dedicated his adult life to serving the citizens of Kentucky. In 1831, the Kentucky Legislature erected a monument to honor Lt. Governor John Caldwell in Frankfort, Kentucky.
Also see . . . Caldwell County, Kentucky.
The county was formed in 1809 from Livingston County, Kentucky and named for John Caldwell, who participated in the George Rogers Clark Indian Campaign of 1786 and was the second lieutenant governor of Kentucky. (Submitted on November 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 334 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.