Closter in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Daniel De Clark House
Built about 1786 by Daniel De Clark, the frame kitchen wing was added in the early 1800’s. De Clark operated a large cattle and dairy farm on 170 acres of land. In 1815 son William was the owner and he sold the house to his grandson, Jacob D.C. Outwater, in 1849. Jacob was a farmer who also built and ran a nearby sawmill. The farmhouse passed from the family in 1856. Later it became part of the Palisade Stock Farm.
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 65.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1786.
Location. 40° 58.7′ N, 73° 56.669′ W. Marker is in Closter, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Piermont Road (Route 501), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 145 Piermont Road, Closter NJ 07624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Nagel (Naugle) House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nagel – Auryansen Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); The Nauglel / Auryansen Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Walter Parcells Homestead (approx. one mile away); The Closter Horseman (approx. 1.1 miles away); Closter Public School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hilderbrant Naugle House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Reformed Church of Closter (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Closter.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. Society website homepage (Submitted on May 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,191 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.