The construction of Pemberton Hall was accomplished by Isaac Handy (1706-1762) and his wife Anne on land purchased from Joseph Pemberton in 1726. In addition to being a sizable landowner and merchant planter, Isaac Handy served as a Justice of the Peace and colonel in the Maryland militia as well as a member of the provincial assembly. Handy family ownership continued until 1835.
The cast end kitchen wing, constructed circa 1785, has been reconstructed on its original location.
Pemberton Hall is owned and a detailed restoration is being accomplished by The Pemberton Hall Foundation based on extensive documentary, architectural, and archeological research. Interior furnishings are based on three eighteenth century probate inventories for Pemberton Hall.
Pemberton Hall is open to the public for tours or by appointment. Membership in the non-profit Foundation is invited.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1741.
Location. 38° 20.85′ N, 75° 38.667′ W. Marker is in Salisbury, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker can be reached from Plantation Lane. Located within the grounds of Pemberton Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salisbury MD 21801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Show of Wealth (within shouting distance of this marker); The "Peculiar Institution" at Pemberton Plantation (within shouting distance of this marker); A Drop to Drink (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to Pemberton Historical Park (about 400 feet away); Nature's Pasture (about 400 feet away); Plantation Barnyard (about 400 feet away); An Apple a Day (about 400 feet away); The Original Residents (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salisbury.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2014, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2014, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.