Marion in Crittenden County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Crittenden County Courthouse, Marion
According to local tradition, the Crittenden County Courthouse was burned by Brigadier General Hylan B. Lyon, CSA on January 25, 1865 as part of a raid into Kentucky during which Lyon’s troops burned a number of western Kentucky county courthouses. The courthouse had been built in 1844 when the county seat was transferred to Marion. The present courthouse is the third, dedicated in 1951.
During the Civil War there was relatively little action in Crittenden County, although the county had several iron furnaces and a large fluorspar mine. There was one other incident at the courthouse. On May 13, 1862, Col. S. Noble, Federal commander at Paducah, sent a cavalry company under a Capt. Stacy to Marion. Stacy interrupted the circuit court and demanded that the presiding judge, Wiley P. Flower, and others take the oath of allegiance to the Federal government. The judge and the others protested that they had taken all the oaths required under state law. Four men were arrested for refusing to take the oath and ordered to appear in the Paducah Circuit Court.
Hylan Benton Lyon was born in Caldwell (now Lyon) County on February
He went to Mexico at the end of the War for one year, but returned to Lyon County and farmed
Erected by Forrest C. Pogue Public History Institute, Murray State University and the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, TEA-21 Program.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil.
Location. 37° 19.948′ N, 88° 4.908′ W. Marker is in Marion, Kentucky, in Crittenden County. Marker is located on the lawn, near the east courthouse entrance. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marion KY 42064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Courthouse Burned (here, next to this marker); County Named, 1842 (within shouting distance of this marker); Senator W. J. Deboe / Senators from Marion (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Family of Judges (approx. 0.2 miles away); F. Julius Fohs (1884-1965) / Fohs Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Forrest Reconnoitered (approx. 1.3 miles Chapel Hill Presbyterian Church / Pioneer Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Centerville (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
More about this marker. This marker is a modern, plastic, nearly horizontal placard.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Kentucky courthouses burned during the Civil War.
Also see . . .
1. Hylan B. Lyon Papers.
In December of 1864 CSA Brigadier General Hylan B. Lyon launched a raid into the Cumberland Valley of Tennessee and Kentucky. For several weeks Lyon disrupted supply lines and torched Union controlled buildings, including seven courthouses in Kentucky. (Submitted on November 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Hylan B. Lyon.
When the war ended, Lyon accompanied Governor Isham G. Harris of Tennessee into Mexico, intending to offer his services to Maximilian. He was a civil engineer in Mexico for nearly a year before finally returning to his home in Eddyville, Kentucky, where he resumed farming and opened a prosperous mercantile business. He also served as state prison commissioner, primarily responsible for what is now the Kentucky State Penitentiary being located in his hometown of Eddyville. His initials are still inscribed over the Kentucky State Penitentiary's (Submitted on November 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 647 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 4, 5. submitted on November 27, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.