Old Tappan in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Claudius O. Collignon House
Built about 1864 by Claudius with a kitchen wing, it has elements of Greek Revival and Italianate styles of architecture. He purchased a half interest in the farm and mill works owned by his brother Nicholas. Their firm was known as the Collignon Brothers, noted for chair manufacture, including the patented folding deck chairs for ocean liners. The house, with later additions and remodeling, remained in the family until 1895. The mill burned down in 1904.
Owners of the House since 1957.
Erected 1996 by Bergen County Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
Location. 41° 0.024′ N, 73° 59.337′ W. Marker is in Old Tappan, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Westwood Avenue, on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1019 Westwood Avenue, Westwood NJ 07675, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Stone Point (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Abraham D. Blauvelt Homestead (approx. Ύ mile away); John Haring, Jr. House (approx. one mile away); Blanch-Haring House (approx. one mile away); Site of the Myers-Bogert Grist Mill (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wortendyke Homesite (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Burying Ground (approx. 1.2 miles away); USS Enterprise (CV-6) Stern Plate (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Old Tappan.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. Society website homepage (Submitted on May 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,281 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.