Old Tappan in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Stone Point
As early as 1704 this area of the Tappan Patent was called the “steen” or “Stone” point, later Stony Point. It was commonly known by that name for over 150 years. A grist mill was built here in 1725, fifty years before the American Revolution. For over a century, it ground the grain from the Old Tappan farmland.
In 1857 Nicholas and Claudius Collignon established a large chair factory on this site. Their specialty was the manufacture of folding chairs.
in the Tercentenary year of 1964
Erected 1964 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 30.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1704.
Location. 40° 59.962′ N, 73° 59.354′ W. Marker is in Old Tappan, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Westwood Avenue, on the rightTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Westwood NJ 07675, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Claudius O. Collignon House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Abraham D. Blauvelt Homestead (approx. 0.8 miles away); Blanch-Haring House (approx. one mile away); John Haring, Jr. House (approx. one mile away); Site of the Myers-Bogert Grist Mill (approx. one mile away); Wortendyke Homesite (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Burying Ground (approx. 1.1 miles away); USS Enterprise (CV-6) Stern Plate (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Old Tappan.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. Society website homepage (Submitted on May 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,560 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.