Near Bridgeport in Morrill County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Camp Clarke Bridge and Sidney-Black Hills Trail
Clarke’s bridge was about 2,000 feet long with 61 wooden trusses. Tolls of $2 to $6 were assessed on the hundreds of freight wagons, stagecoaches, and riders that crossed. A hamlet known as Camp Clarke, with a hotel, store, saloon, and post office, sprang up at the south end of the bridge. A log blockhouse stood on an island in the river near the north bank. Although travel on the trail declined after 1880, the bridge continued in local use until about 1900. The site is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Morrill County Visitors Committee & Nebraska
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list.
Location. 41° 40.224′ N, 103° 10.125′ W. Marker is near Bridgeport, Nebraska, in Morrill County. Marker is on U.S. 26, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bridgeport NE 69336, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bridgeport, Nebraska (approx. 3.6 miles away); Oregon Trail (approx. 3.7 miles away); Mormon Pioneer Camp (approx. 3.8 miles away); Guiding Landmarks (approx. 5.8 miles away); Courthouse and Jail Rocks (approx. 6 miles away); The Innocent Assassins (approx. 8.7 miles away); Mary Murray Murdoch (approx. 9.1 miles away); Chimney Rock Cemetery (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridgeport.
More about this marker. This marker is approximately 3 miles west of Bridgeport on US 26.
Also see . . . Camp Clarke Bridge Site - Wikipedia. It was the only reliable crossing between Fort Laramie and North Platte, Nebraska. (Submitted on December 6, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 405 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 6, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.