Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House-The Cemetery and Grounds
From 1720 until 1850s, there grounds were the center of church life for local Baptists. On Sundays, the churchyard would be alive with carriages and buggies as families came together to worship. A long carriage shed once stood west of the lane that approaches the Meeting House.
The oldest part of the cemetery lies directly east of the Meeting House, extending to the northern tree line. Many of the older graves are unmarked or marked with field fieldstones with no visible inscriptions. The oldest dated graves are those of John Saltar (1723) and his father-in-law Elisha Lawrence (1724).
The cemetery contains approximately sixty graves dated prior to 1800. Many of these early headstones are decorated with poignant inscriptions and folk-art that reflect the Colonial American experience and deeply held beliefs of these early Baptist settlers. This site is on the
(Inscription under the drawing in the center)
The Friends of the Old Yellow Meeting House was founded in 1975 to assure the preservation, care, and appropriate use of this Historic Site.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1720.
Location. 40° 10.164′ N, 74° 28.398′ W. Marker is in Imlaystown, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Yellow Meeting House Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cream Ridge NJ 08514, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House-The Parsonage and Baptist Ministry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ye Olde Robbins Burial Place (approx. 1.4 miles away); Borough of Roosevelt (approx. 3.4 miles away); Historic Walnford Park (approx. 5.1 miles away); Historic Walnford (approx. 5.1 miles away); Walnford’s Tenant Houses (approx. 5.1 miles away); U.S. Army Parachute Test Platoon (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Imlaystown.
1. The 1964 tri-centennial
On the ground outside the damaged fence of the cemetery is the blue marker that was erected by New Jersey Tricentennial Commission, circa 1963. I hope someone will reinstall it at some point. This apparently happened when a car hit the marker and the fence well over a year ago.
A mile or so from the cemetery is the old Salter's Mill in Imlaystown. It, too, once had a tricennial marker, noting that the mill was once owned by Richard Salter, whose daughter married Mordecai Lincoln, grandfather of Abraham Lincoln.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 363 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 7, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.