Center of Arts and Culture
The Historic City of Burlington
(Inscription under the photo in the upper center)
James Fenimore Cooper, author of the Leatherstocking Tales.
(Inscription under the photos at the bottom)
In 1757 The Library Company of Burlington was chartered by British monarch King George II. The library still operates under that charter.—The original Herman T. Costello Lyceum Hall.---Birch’s Opera House occupied the site of the present Post Office.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1757.
Location. 40° 4.597′ N, 74° 51.467′ W. Marker is in Burlington, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is on High Street (SR 413). The marker is located on the Lyceum Hall property. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burlington NJ 08016, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplaces (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bishop Francis Asbury (about 500 feet away); Founding Lay Persons (about 500 feet away); Ockanickon (about 700 feet away); Office of the Council of Proprietors and the Surveyor General (about 700 feet away); Grant House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old St. Mary's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burlington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.