Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Cherry Hill in Camden County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Samuel Coles

c. 1635-1693

 
 
Samuel Coles Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 29, 2014
1. Samuel Coles Marker
Inscription.  1676 Original Land Grant to Samuel Coles by William Penn;
1685 New Orchard purchased by Coles, present cemetery grounds;
1683-5 Member of State Legislature;
1693 died at Barbados, survived by wife, Elizabeth Ibbs, son Samuel and daughter Sarah.
 
Erected 1986 by Rancocas Valley Chapter National Society Colonial Dames Seventeenth Century.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesColonial EraSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 39° 55.986′ N, 74° 59.364′ W. Marker is in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, in Camden County. Marker is at the intersection of Kings Highway and Church Road on Kings Highway. The marker is inside the arch at the entrance to Colestown Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cherry Hill NJ 08034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colestown Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Cherry Hill Monument (approx. 1.8 miles away); Old Salem Road (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hadrosaurus Foulkii
Samuel Coles Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 29, 2014
2. Samuel Coles Marker
(approx. 2.7 miles away); Site of the Indian Spring (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Kay-Evans House at Croft Farm (approx. 2.8 miles away); Site of Moore's Tavern (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Outbuildings at Croft Farm (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cherry Hill.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 2, 2020