Glover Fulling Mill & Kings Run
17th & 18th Century Transportation and Manufacturing in Haddon Heights
Until the 1920s, a brick and stone mill stood on the opposite side of the stream behind the stage of the Dell. This mill housed machinery to clean cloth and make it thicker by controlled shrinking and beating, called fulling. When John Glover built his mill in 1773-76, he dammed King’s Run and diverted water from just behind the dam through a channel called a headrace to run the mill’s waterwheel. The force of the flowing water as well as the weight of the water falling from above turned the wheel and its axle that moved wooden hammers to beat the cloth in a water-filled trough. After being fulled and dyed, the cloth was suspended in open fields for stretching so that it would dry evenly and square. A tale race carried water away from the mill, depositing it back in King’s Run.
Betsy Ross was a customer of the Glover Mill and tradition
You are also standing near the site of a Revolutionary War skirmish with British General Cornwallis after the Battle of Red Bank in 1777. A cannonball found by the Works Progress Administration when creating the Camden County Park in 1937 is now located at the Haddon Heights Library.
Erected by Haddon Heights Historical Society in Memory of Lynn Laitman.
Location. 39° 52.734′ N, 75° 4.368′ W. Marker is in Haddon Heights, New Jersey, in Camden County. Memorial is on South Park Avenue. The marker is located in Haddon Lake Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Haddon Heights NJ 08035, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Tribute to Audubon's Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Glover Fulling Mill & Kings Run.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 13, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.