St. Anthony in Division No. 9 (North Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Atlantic Provinces
Fox Point Lightouse
The white occulting light was installed in a cast-iron light tower. It exhibited 20.5 meters (67 feet) above sea level and was visible for 10 miles. A fog alarm was installed at the site in 1936 house(d) in a flat -roofed wooden building. The light tower and the fog alarm building were painted with red and white vertical stripes. W. Patey was the first keeper. Joseph Boyd was keeper in 1938.
In 1952 a new fog alarm was installed and in 1955 provision was made for a new landing, storehouse and outdoor toilet. A bungalow was constructed in the same year. Because the lighthouse was only a 20-minute walk from St. Anthony, the keeper’s children were able to attend school and the families could participate in social functions in the town.
In 1960 the iron tower was replaced with a combined light tower and fog alarm building, a new aluminum lantern was installed, and the acetylene gas light was converted to station-generated electricity. A second dwelling was constructed in the early 1960s.
The site was de-staffed in July 1992, but was re-staffed in July 2002. Two dwelling shave been acquired from the Canadian Government. One has been removed for residential purposes and the other is a commercial property.
Information provided by the Canadian Coast Guard.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1992.
Location. 51° 21.364′ N, 55° 33.327′ W. Marker is in St. Anthony, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 9 (North Peninsula). Marker is on West Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: St Anthony, Newfoundland and Labrador A0K 4S0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Anthony (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Wilfred Thomason Grenfell (approx. 2.2 kilometers away).
More about this marker. This marker is located near the lighthouse at the eastern end of West Street.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 284 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 15, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.