Mount Holly in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
John Woolman’s Tailor Shop & 2nd Friends Meeting House
John Woolman’s Tailor Shop
Here he probably “tended shop and
kept books” in 1740 when a lad of 20.
He bought the property in 1747, and
deeded it to his mother,
Elizabeth Woolman in 1753.
Friends Meeting House
in Mount Holly was built on the rear
of this lot in 1768. It was in use until
1776 and was reached by a passage way
from Mill Street known as
“Meeting House Alley.”
American Stores Company
Erected by American Stores Company.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism ⛪ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1740.
Location. 39° 59.59′ N, 74° 47.17′ W. Marker is in Mount Holly, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is on Mill Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History Millstone Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Calvert’s Hardware Store (about 300 feet away); Fire Company (about 400 feet away); Shinn-Curtis Log House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grist Mill Stone (approx. 0.2 miles away); House of John R. Slack (approx. ¼ mile away); Cannon Made in Mount Holly (approx. ¼ mile away); Historic Burlington County Court House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Holly.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 383 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.