The Hebron CCC And POW Camps
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was authorized by Congress in 1933 to provide employment and vocational training to young men during the Great Depression. The CCC worked on forestry and soil conservation projects across the nation. Company 752 of the CCC occupied a camp at this site from October 2, 1934, through August 15, 1941. Up to 200 men were housed in the compound, known as Camp Thayer. The camp motto was "We lead, others follow." Men from Camp Thayer were sent to the Republican Valley after the 1935 flood to perform emergency work.
During World War II, six of the nine barracks at the former CCC camp were used as a side camp to house as many as 120 German prisoners of war from the overcrowded POW camp at Concordia, Kansas. The first prisoners arrived in early December 1943. The POWs performed farm work arranged by the Thayer County Non-Stock Cooperative Labor Association, replacing local men who had entered military service. The Hebron POW camp closed on November 15, 1945. The site of the camps is now the city's Riverside Park.
Erected by Nebraska State Historical Society and City
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Charity & Public Work • Education • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️, and the Nebraska State Historical Society series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1871.
Location. 40° 9.84′ N, 97° 34.954′ W. Marker is in Hebron, Nebraska, in Thayer County. Marker is on Holdredge Avenue west of South Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Riverside Park, Hebron NE 68370, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World's Largest Porch Swing (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Tribute To Hebron, Its People and Its Schools (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Thayer County (approx. half a mile away); Friedensau (approx. 5.8 miles away); Bank Building (approx. 9 miles away); Home of 6 Man Football (approx. 10˝ miles away); Municipal Auditorium (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hebron.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. CCC Work in Nebraska. (Submitted on December 25, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. CCC Camps in Nebraska. (Submitted on December 25, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 480 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 25, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.