Sardis in Burke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Quaker Road
This highway has been following closely the course of the Old Quaker Road, one of Georgia's earliest vehicular thoroughfares. It was opened about 1769 to link Savannah, the colonial capital, with a Quaker settlement centering around Wrightsboro in today's upper McDuffie County.
The Quaker Road was one of the longest and most important routes of the Province of Georgia. At this point the original way bore left for a stretch. It rejoins this road some miles to the north.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 017-1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Quakerism series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1769.
Location. 32° 56.186′ N, 81° 43.372′ W. Marker is in Sardis, Georgia, in Burke County. Marker is on Waynesboro Highway (Georgia Route 24), on the left when traveling north. Marker is at the Burke-Screven County line. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sardis GA 30456, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Sardis Baptist Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); First McCanaan Baptist Church (approx. 3½ miles away); Original Site Sardis Baptist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); British Army Crossing (approx. 4.2 miles away); Paris' Mill (approx. 4.2 miles away); Jacksonborough (approx. 9½ miles away); Jacksonboro (approx. 9½ miles away); John Abbot (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sardis.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,658 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on July 12, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.