Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
By the 1860s, Salado developed a thriving economy based on farming, ranching, milling, mineral baths and education. Salado College opened in 1860, attracting many individuals to the growing community. Additional schools were built, including Thomas Arnold High School, which was established by Dr. Samuel Jones, and a school on land donated by W.K. Hamblen, which closed in 1969 and became a community center. In 1873, the First Texas Branch of the Grange, a national fraternal agrarian
Salado became a virtual ghost town in the early decades of the 20th century; The population was around 250 in 1950, but since that time, Salado has experienced continued growth. Revitalization occurred when retirees moved here and with promotion of the arts. In 2000, Salado again incorporated, and today remains a viable community into the 21st century.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15828.)
Location. 30° 56.594′ N, 97° 32.244′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (County Route 2268) and Royal Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salado TX 76571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Street Bridges (here, next to this marker); Salado Creek (here, next to this marker); Stagecoach Inn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Thomas Arnold High School (about 500 The Davis Mill (about 500 feet away); Louisa Adeline (Addie) Barton (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Salado (about 500 feet away); Home of Orville Thomas Tyler (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salado.
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Salado.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 356 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 27, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.