Near Louisbourg in Cape Breton Region, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
First Lighthouse Tower
On this site was erected by France, in 1731, the first Lighthouse Tower, constructed of fireproof materials, in North America.
Near here the British erected batteries to silence the defensive works erected by France. In 1745, these batteries were commanded by Lt. Co. John Gorham; in 1758, by Brigadier General James Wolfe.
Sur cet emplacement la France construisit, en 1731, le premier phare à l’épreuve du feu érigé en Amérique du Nord.
Près d’ici les anglais élevèrent des batteries pour réduire les travaux de défense fait par les français sur l’ile située en face de l’entrée du port. Au siège de 1745, ce batteries furent commandées par le lieutenant colonel John Gorham et à celui de 1758, pare le brigadier général James Wolfe.
Erected 1926 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • War, French and IndianWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board, and the Lighthouses series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1731.
Location. 45° 54.397′ N, 59° 57.508′ W. Marker is near Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, in Cape Breton Region. Marker can be reached from Havenside Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 573 Havenside Road, Louisbourg NS B1C 1P4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. French Garrison at Louisbourg (here, next to this marker); First Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); 19th-Century Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); Louisbourg Harbour (within shouting distance of this marker); Lighthouse Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Kennelly Point (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Lobster Fishery (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Fortress of Louisbourg (approx. 2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisbourg.
More about this marker. This marker is located on the lighthouse at the end of Havenside Road.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 29, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.