Louisbourg in Cape Breton Region, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
French Garrison at Louisbourg
This tablet commemorated the valour and endurance displayed against overwhelming odds, by the French forces, who, in 1745 and again in 1758, garrisoned the defensive batteries on the Island opposite the entrance to the harbour of Louisbourg and facing this spot.
Cette plaque est érigée en hommage à la bravoure et à l’endurance dont firent preuve, contre des troupes bien supérieures, les troupes françaises retranchées dans l’ile située en face de l’entrée du port de Louisbourg en 1745 et en 1758.
Erected 1926 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Acadian History, and the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1745.
Location. 45° 54.398′ N, 59° 57.504′ W. Marker is in Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, in Cape Breton Region. Marker can be reached from Havenside Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 573 Havenside Road, Louisbourg NS B1C 1P4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Lighthouse Tower (here, next to this marker); First Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); 19th-Century Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); Louisbourg Harbour (within shouting distance of this marker); Lighthouse Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Kennelly Point (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Lobster Fishery (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Fortress of Louisbourg (approx. 2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisbourg.
More about this marker. This marker is located on the lighthouse at the end of Havenside Road.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 29, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.