The Town of Herrington: Unearthing the Origins of South County
Archaeologists and volunteers discovered Herrington about a mile to the south on a high flat area overlooking a cove on Herring Bay, in proximity to fresh water springs and aligned with a roadway that may date to the 17th century. Excavations produced evidence of two earthfast or post-in-ground buildings and a large collection of colonial period artifacts. Extensive archival research identified one-acre size lots within this 100-acre settlement occupied by planters, merchants, and mariners. Further research is needed to determine why Herrington
(Inscription under the map in the upper left)
A 1671 map of the Chesapeake Bay documents Herrington’s existence, but, unfortunately, not its exact location. This view is one of the earliest depictions of Anne Arundel County.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower left)
Lost Towns Project archaeologists and volunteers sift excavated soil through wire screens looking for artifacts from the 17th century.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower center)
These darkened stains in the soil, called features, indicate where structural wooden posts once supported one of the towns earthfast buildings. Archaeologist dug through almost three feet of siltation to find them.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower center right)
The project recovered a wide range of artifacts from the town site, including imported ceramics, architectural materials, oyster shells, and fragments of clay tobacco pipes.
(Inscription under the photo at the right top)
Some Herrington inhabitants converted to Quakerism, while others were active members of St James, an Anglican parish founded in 1692. These surviving gravestones at the church belong to lot holder Christopher Birckhead and his wife Anne. Leadership (Inscription under
Please contact losttowns.com, www.fourriversheritage.org. and annearundeltrust.org to learn more about Herrington, heritage area resources, and historic preservation. Archaeological excavations funded by the Maryland Historical Trust and Anne Arundel County Government.
Signboard sponsored by Four Rivers: The Heritage Area of Annapolis, London Town and South County, Maryland Heritage Areas Authority, Anne Arundel County, Anne Arundel County Trust for Preservation, Herrington Harbour North, and Severn Graphics.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 38° 46.59′ N, 76° 34.032′ W. Marker is in Tracys Landing, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Old Deale Road. The marker is located on the grounds of Herrington Harbour North. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tracys Landing MD 20779, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birds of Prey (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Outnumbered (about 800 feet away); Wildlife You May See (approx. 0.3 miles
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 458 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 30, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.