Wisconsin Rapids in Wood County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
“The Iron Horse in Grand Rapids”
— Historic Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin —
1871-72 found the iron horse arriving in Grand Rapids & Centrailia. The railroad bridge replaced log, river rafting & its loss of life on the dangerous river rapids. A modern iron bridge was built to withstand the early, spring thaws. Long, tiring stagecoach & wagonrides became a thing of the past.
the following individuals & families —
H. David, Denise & Ellery Orr • Hendrickson Garden Design, Inc. • Ann Kroll • Charles & Marion Ruelle • Earle & Margaret Garber • Greg Pesko & Dawn Olson • Ted & Mary Olson • Dr. John, Jackie & Josie Dietrich • Gary & Judy Rosencrans • River Cities Evening Garden Club • Jerry & Julie Bach • Lynn & Dwight Hopfauf • Connie Coley Loden • Pete & Nan Taylor • Chris Maguire & Andy & Laura Stickel • Randy & Carol Olson • Roland & Angela Paulsen • Allen J. & Susan A. Glinski • Helen M. Hanneman • Jim & Kelly Lucas • Etta Bredl • City Centre Committee • Phil, Ann, Rebecca & Maria Hartley • In memory of Reuben Timm • Terry & Amy Whitmore family • Michael Hittner family
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 44° 23.58′ N, 89° 49.66′ W. Marker is in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Avenue North and West Grand Avenue, on the left when traveling north on 2nd Avenue North. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 West Grand Avenue, Wisconsin Rapids WI 54495, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Corenso North America (within shouting distance of this marker); Winnebago Indians (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Rapids of the Wisconsin River (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ho-Chunk 32nd "Red Arrow" Division Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Our Medical History (approx. ¼ mile away); Wood County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Myron "Grim" Natwick (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elizabeth Daly House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wisconsin Rapids.
More about this marker. The mural – not painted directly on the wall, but painted on wood panels – was part of a "Murals Walk," established
Regarding “The Iron Horse in Grand Rapids”. Centralia, on the west side of the Wisconsin River, and Grand Rapids on the east side, were united in 1900 as Grand Rapids and in 1920 renamed Wisconsin Rapids.
Also see . . . 1923 History of Wisconsin Rapids. "The Green Bay and Lake Pepin Railway (now Green Bay & Western) first arrived here from Green Bay in November, 1872. The Wisconsin Valley Railway, now the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, arrived from Tomah in June, 1873. The Port Edwards, Centralia & Northern, now the 'Soo' line, arrived in 1890, and the Chicago & North Western in 1901." (Submitted on January 21, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2015, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 594 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2015, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.