Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Thomas Township near Saint Thomas in Franklin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Waddell

1754

 
 
Fort Waddell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, May 18, 2008
1. Fort Waddell Marker
Inscription.  
One of the forts
for the defense of the
frontier of Cumberland County
from Fort Davis to Shippensburg
stood near this marker
on the plantation then
owned by Thomas Waddell

 
Erected 1930 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission and The Franklin County Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and CastlesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series lists.
 
Location. 39° 54.671′ N, 77° 49.244′ W. Marker is near Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania, in Franklin County. It is in St. Thomas Township. Marker is on Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) 0.1 miles east of Mercersburg Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8632 Lincoln Hwy, Saint Thomas PA 17252, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
crow flies. Fort Wadell (here, next to this marker); Jacob Nelson "Nellie" Fox (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. Thomas Commemorates (approx. 1.3 miles away); Colonel James G. Elder (approx. 1.3 miles away); Tree Pump(s) (approx. 1.3 miles away); This Stone Marks the Site of the Fort at McDowell's Mill (approx. 3.7 miles away); Fort McDowell (approx. 3.7 miles away); Joseph Armstrong (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint Thomas.
 
Full view of marker. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, May 18, 2008
2. Full view of marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,645 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8051

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2024